Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:06:17 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
Cc:        media@mail1.nai.net, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More than 64M RAM??

In the last episode (Sep 04), William Melanson said:
> This was taken from the faq.
>
> Due to the manner in which FreeBSD gets the memory size from the BIOS, it
> can only detect 16 bits worth of Kbytes in size (65535 Kbytes = 64MB) (or
> less... some BIOSes peg the memory size to 16M). If you have more than
> 64MB, FreeBSD will attempt to detect it; however, the attempt may fail.

I think this FAQ entry is outdated;  I have from 128MB to 512MB in most
of my machines and FreeBSD detects their memory correctly.  The only
hardware I've ever had to force the memory amount on was an old Compaq
motherboard that couldn't detect over 16MB correctly.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com