Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:17:15 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
Cc:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General Buildworld request

JJ Behrens wrote:

>>Whenever I run buildworld, buildkernel, mergemaster, installworld or
>>installkernel I use tee to redirect the output to a log file in case
>>I need to troubleshoot a problem or check what was updated.
>>I also timestamp the beginning of the process by sending the output
>>of 'date' to the top of each logfile.
>>

> Hmm, out of curiosity, what's the difference between doing this and using
> "script"?

When I created my scripts, I didn't use it because script was
expecting me to type something and record everything plus the output.
All I wanted was the piped output captured and that was what tee was
designed for. I also wanted the fastest buildworld I could create. I
didn't want the capture process to be looking at the keyboard, since
nothing was going to be typed there.

There are times when I want the output of something like "time make
buildworld" captured to the file and script would probably do that. I
use a script called mkworld that is my make buildworld that I wanted
all of the output and error messages captured. I think there are
multiple ways of capturing a buildworld. What you used to do the
capturing probably depends on what you thought was important when you
created your script.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart