Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:55:14 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        security@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org, bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Subject:   POSIX saved ids: what to do?

POSIX saved ids (when turned on) is incompatible with
standard BSD semantics which is close to POSIX saved ids turned off.
I.e. seteuid + setuid sequence produce very different result in both
models. Old or BSD programs which use it may even not know about
POSIX saved ids. So I can see here two solutions:

1) Completely return to old BSD semantics which is close
to POSIX saved ids turned off.

2) Return to old BSD semantics when program issue seteuid()
or setreuid() first time (POSIX allows only setuid
so it clearly indicates non-POSIX model).

Comments?
--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>