Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 23:30:10 -0500
From:      Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zips and tars | ASCII or Binary?

At 8:15 PM -0800 11/17/01, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 08:24:51PM -0500, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
>
> > tars should effectively always binary, though they aren't realy valid from
> > another O/S; if you got something perverse like a .tar file from a Windows
> > machine there's no proper way to transfer it . . .
>
>What do you mean by this last statement?  .tar is a standardized
>archive format.  "Binary" only means "contains 8-bit characters".

Absolutely.  I run a FreeBSD system and a Mac.  There's a version of
tar for the Mac called MacTar.  I have no trouble tarring a bunch of
files on the Mac and untarring them on FreeBSD and vice versa.  Of
course the ftp transfer of the tar file is done in binary mode.  Hope
that clarifies things for the original poster.