Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:23:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        evanc@synapse.net (Evan Champion)
Cc:        evanc@synapse.net, gmarco@giovannelli.it, current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: usr.bin/expand breaks make world

> It looks much better if I mount with rw,bg,intr,nfsv2 and do just make
> buildworld (no -j).  If I do make -j4, the .nfs* files get left behind which
> confuses make.
>
> Give that a try and see if it helps.  I have a build running now; I'll
> report back when I get home how far it got.

The .nfs files are open+unlink files.

My guess is that your machines are not sufficiently timesynced.

This is a well known problem in NFSv2.

NFSv3 uses (or is supposed to) source relative time; that is, the
delta is calculated on the request and subtracted on the response.
For a negative delta, this results in a positive add.

This means that time is still stored in server time on the server,
but reported in client time to the client, such that the client
and server clocks do not need to be tightly synchronized.

You may also have better luck if you use the "-pipe" option to
get rid of the temporary-but-deleted files.

The real problem here is that GCC and family have people who
don't consider this type of thing working on them.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.