Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:04:07 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: portcheckout & cvsup & cvs

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:31:34AM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> The handbook says that the FBSD support source tree are
> managed by cvsup and replaces the old way of using cvs.

The repository is still very much managed by cvs(1). The prefered
method to distribtute information from the CVS repository to remote
sites, in bulk, is using cvsup(1).

> Portcheckout uses cvs to select just one port make files
> for download to my FBSD box.

That's fine. cvsup(1) is more efficient when you are going through
lots of data, and cvsup(1) also allows you to mirror the repository
itself (which is so-o kewl). But for a single port here and there,
using cvs(1) is just fine... if you can find a anonymous FreeBSD CVS
server that's working.

> Will portcheckout get the correct content if used?

Sure. cvsup(1) uses cvs(1) to get the files at the remote CVSup
server too.

> I could get cvsup to do the same thing portcheckout does using
> this format of the cvsup command.
>
> Cvsup -g -l2 -I ports/www/lynx /etc/cvsupfile
>
> Where -I contains the make files you want to download.
> This does not work for me.
> As usually the man page contains insufficient information to be of any help.

Well, I think that's because you want the '-i' option? And the '-l'
should be '-L' too.

> How can I just download selected port make files using cvsup?

If you just want to grab say, nmap(1), using cvsup(1), I'd start with
/usr/share/examples/ports-supfile. I don't want to go through the
whole thing just for nmap(1). I know nmap(1) is in the security
section. So, as I edit the supfile, putting in the server I want to
use and the various paths, I will,

  s/ports-all/#ports-all/
  s/#ports-security/ports-security/

Once I have my new supfile, I can just use cvsup(1) as you suggest,

  $ cvsup -g -L2 -i ports/security/nmap ports-supfile