Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 22:13:52 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device drivers

Hey Jamil, I'll say it again: Format Your Messages.  I'm pretty
prolific when it comes to replying to stuff, and I was this || close to
throwing this one out.  You are really seriously handicapping yourself
here.

> I've taken a look at the source code to a few device drivers and run the
> example scripts for Isa stuff, I have a general feeling of what needs to
> be in one and how it operates however I simply don't feel I have enough
> information (or a well enough documented example) to feel confident
> writing one myself.

The skeletons are a good start; just accumulate bits relevant to your
hardware's functions as you go.

What it actually sounds like is that you can't work out how to map the
activities of your hardware onto the device model.  In the case of the
hardware you've been talking about before it's likely that you're
expecting to do more in the driver than is actually necessary.

> does anyone have a document/FAQ no matter how small
> describng the required functions/tables/probing /irq setup etc.

Not really; the existing driver set is actually pretty good for this.
Look at another driver that does something similar to yours and work
off that.  If you have specific questions, by all means post them.
OTOH, posting a "will someone else do all my work for me" message won't
get you much.

(Hint: this is a learning process.  It's not _meant_ to be easy, or you
wouldn't take anything useful away from it.)

> A line by line walk through of even a
> cheeseball driver would be greatly appreciated or perhaps even a pointer
> to a well documented driver

Again, the skeletons are pretty good here.

If you want to take this off the list, I'd be happy to talk you through
the process.  One proviso; learn first about "paragraphs".  8)

mike