Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:52:08 +0200
From:      "=?ISO-8859-9?Q?Ertan_K=FC=E7=FCko=F0lu?=" <ertank@ozlerplastik.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq ProLiant 1600 server freezes when detecting keyboard

Hello,

I wanted to replace slackware 10.1 with freebsd 6.0-release. Reason is the
improvements on filesystem handling in 6.0 release. My system is serving as a
file server with samba.

I downloaded CDs and boot to install. During device probing, system hangs at
keyboard detection. Below is the output written manually:
-----
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
stray irq13
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
===> here cursor locks, keyboard locks. ctrl+alt+del does not work <===
-----

I searched the archives. It is suggested to change BIOS setting for the OS to
"Other" for single CPU systems and to "UnixWare 2.1" for SMP systems. Mine is
a SMP system. I tried several other OS settings in BIOS, unfortunately nothing
helped. System bios update date is 11/8/2000.

I tried to install 5.4-release and cvsup and upgrade to 6.0-stable. Same
problem with GENERIC kernel of yesterday sources.

This system is a production machine and I have to fix it until end of this
week. There is a temporary backup system running at the moment.

If there is anything that I can provide, please ask for it and I'll do my best
to provide.

Regards,
--
Ertan Küçükoğlu