Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:40:20 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oh Lordy (OT) Reinstall Bootloader?

OK, theoretical question.

Suppose someone had lost their bootloader by stupidly trying to fix a
Windows error by reinstalling..Windows.

The drive is 8-odd Gb.

1st partition = physical 2|Gb with Win (hosed)/DOS (works).[0]
2nd partiton = extended; 1 windows partition and a screwed Linux install [1]
3rd partition = FreeBSD-4.3-BETA, split into four slices (/ , swap, /usr, /var)
(unreachable but worked a treat before The Big Oops)

All I have is a 4.0 install CD.
Although I've had a look round ftp.freebsd.org, and found
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/bootinst.exe
which installs boot.bin by default
(trouble is I have no idea what boot.bin is).

Question:
how do I reinstall (preferably) Booteasy from the install CD?
Or failing that, boot the install CD's kernel with a root
of /dev/ad0s3<pick random letters>[2] until I find /?

(Question 2 is obviously: 'How do I make a fixit floppy the second I get BSD back?')

[0] - for very small values of work, obviously.
[1] - although that one wasn't my^W the theoretical person's fault - BAD pkgtool!
[2] - never having mastered the whole disklabel/'c is the whole disk' thing?

Any answers *very* gratefully recieved...
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns