Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:22:59 -0500
From:      Jason Kasper <j_dot_kasper@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb question

Hi there.  I have just recently started trying to use the USB device on
my laptop and recompiled my kernel with the following pertinent options
for USB itself....

   device    ohci    # OHCI PCI->USB interface
   device    usb   # USB Bus (required)
   device    ugen    # Generic
   device    umass   # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

and the following options for SCSI (I'm using a USB zip drive)....

   device    scbus   # SCSI bus (required)
   device    da    # Direct Access (disks)

Now, I recompiled, installed, etc., and rebooted.  Voila, I was able to
use my USB zip drive (which is incredibly fast, btw), and all was good.
I have two questions.  First, when I had the Zip drive connected, I
tried to start X and had two problems.  First, my mouse simply would not
work, and secondly, the whole system was much slower than it normally
is.  I didn't notice this until I started X.  I realize that most
probably, this is an IRQ conflict between the zip drive and my laptop
mouse (?) but I've not investigated further.

My second problem is that since I put the USB options in my new kernel
(and use it without actually having any USB devices attached), I get the
following message from the kernel all day....

   usb0: scheduling overrun
   usb0: scheduling overrun
   usb0: scheduling overrun
   usb0: scheduling overrun
   Aug 16 13:05:58 judea last message repeated 12392 times

It doesn't seem like it's hurting anything, but I'm just curious--

   a) what does this mean, and
   b) what can I do to fix it?

Also, anybody experience any oddities when using a USB device and
then trying to use a PS/2 mouse?