Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:26:07 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        binhdo@binhdo.home.cs.ubc.ca (Binh Do)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto invokes the connection all the time...

Binh Do stands accused of saying:

> It seems to me that as I put "ppp -auto myprovider" in rc.local, then
> the phone line is invoked very frequently eventhoug I do not try to
> connect anywhere, and I tried to set NO to almost all entries in
> /etc/sysconfig. Is there any way to watch which program or process is
> invoking the connection? Thank you.

Nameserver lookups.    You can configure the 'bpfilter' pseudo-device
in your kernel, and use 'tcpdump' to watch traffic on the 'tun0' device.

To solve the problem, put 'hosts' before 'bind' in the /etc/host.conf file
and add whatever is needed to the /etc/hosts file.

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[