Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:15:15 -0400
From:      Charlie Root <rdwestsr@hotpop.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
Cc:        neodan85@optonline.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dan wants xp back.

> >    >i recently installed FreeBSD on one of my computers.   I discovered
> >    that it was harder to learn than i thought it would be >and i wanted
> >    to go back to WindowsXP.  I tried formatting the disk and using the
> >    installer on the XP CDROM but it always >says there is a primary hard
> >    disk failure.  How can i fix this so i can install Windows again.
> >

> >    You will generally get more replies if you put a subject in the email.
> >    But I bet that was a mistake. ;) You cannot reinstall windows on a
> >    drive that had FreeBSD on it previously. The daemon mascot tends to
> >    get violently angry, understands exactly what your about to do, and
> >    eats up your disk. Time to get a new drive or keep plugging away at
> >    BSD.

hahaha,
    that was cool...    :)

> >    Oh ok ok.. So it was just a little tasteless humor. You need to wipe
> >    out the partitions that BSD made. Last time I checked microsoft
> >    doesn't recognize unix partitions. (coincidence? Think not.) I usually
> >    start a low level format for a couple of seconds and it will wipe out
> >    all the partitions. And then I put in the microsoft cd. This is from
> >    experience, I have done it and it works for me. Some say low level
> >    formatting isnt good for a disk. I don't know much about it except it
> >    worked for me. I only learn what I have to or people throw in my face
> >    which I will probably get a few after posting this. ;) so use at your
> >    own risk. Alternatives? Get partition magic, or a real OS. If you
> >    don't mind me asking, why do you wish to give up on BSD? Is there
> >    anything I can help you with to change your mind? What was the
> >    problem?

Dan,
   it just gets easier as time goes by :)
i suggest installing the port gnomefind utility...   it will find files for
you...
then get port gnomemm i think...      its a windows-explorer like interface...

get linux binary netscape communicator and navigator
get gedit to edit files...

these will get u up and going with FreeBSD

i'm still about lost in Unix myself, but i'm fighting to not give up...
i want that server box free of ms
and i was running the ms advanced server 2000 for the past couple years

i hopr this helps
RDWestSr