Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 06:01:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_xxx.c src/sys/scsi su.c src/sys/sys conf.h

> > "su" should go away in -current.  The reason for it was quick and
> > dirty fixed SCSI targets before I put in the wire-down code and
> > the "uk" device.
> >
> > Anyone who notices it goes away will have an easy time to change
> > to a wired down device, and it will serve as a heads up to them
> > for work they have to do in the CAM cutover.
> >
> > Does anyone disagree?
>
> Maybe... the ``scsi -p'' command uses ssc(4) which requires su(4).
> This functionality is vital if you've got (say) an external scsi
> device that's the only thing on the bus and is normally switched off.
>
> Would wiring down the device cover this ?

No - but ssc could be simplified to only provide the trap door for
the reprobe instead of providing access to the "device in minor number"
su devices.  The bus would have to be encoded still so I have to
check that it is still a big improvement.

Then the wiring down should cover all bases.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval