Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2014 08:31:08 +0000
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        Olivier Nicole <olivier.nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Subject:   Re: Server Hang

if the disk is that old I would guess its pretty good odds, that the
machine is old too. If this is the case, you might want to considered
replacing the lot and going for a full upgrade of os as well, or maybe
virtualizing the os.

If you decide to go for a new disk alone, I would stay away from dd'ing the
disk as its slow and cumbersome, and will cause complications on a new
drive of bigger capacity, which is a given really. My preferred way of
restoring or duplicating a freebsd system, is to boot into a live
enviroment (latest full bsd install on a usb stick mostly). I then use
gpart to splice up the disk, and format the slices with newfs, and then
mount them up under /mnt in their correct structure, I then push the old os
to the new one over the network via rsync to an rsync server running on the
destination machine. This allows me to copy with out shutting down the
source disk. My rsync config is something similar to

..
uid=0
gid=0

[MNT]
path = /mnt
read only = false
..

I then use the following command to push the os over

rsync -aPHW --numeric-ids --exclude="/dev/**" --exclude="/proc/**" /
remote_ip::MNT/

finally install the boot blocks

If the os is prior to freebsd 5.x make sure you newfs in UFS1 not UFS2
which is the default.

If you go for an os upgrade, just install the os, match the package list as
best you can, and port essential things from the /etc and /home trees, then
prepare for a lot of testing as lots of big version bumps will have
happened. If the site is a static one it should be fine though, but php etc
you will probably find a few issues.

Alternatively you could copy /usr/local and /var/db/pkg from the old
machine, and install the relevent compat libraries. Personally I would
avoid this though.