Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 19:52:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> Not in this case. This involves a policy change for the distribution
> of FreeBSD.  THere is no way that I can modify the distribution
> channels without the "blessing" of the 'core'.

This misapprehension is derived from a wholly inaccurate perception of
how things work in this project, a form of myopia that 2 years worth
of impassioned argument and occasional shouting has done absolutely
nothing to dislodge.  Richard, congraduations - I formally admit that
you've beaten me fair and square.  Your armor would appear to be
impervious to every form of reason I'm capable of throwing at it.  You
win by forfeit.

I've tried very hard to explain to Richard that things just can't work
the way he wants them to, and I've explained that he really is putting
the cart before the horse *from the FreeBSD development* perspective,
if clearly not his own, in how he's trying to go about doing this
grand build architecture of his.  Rather than try to understand this
or work towards any greater insights on a project he's purportedly
trying to help, however, he's simply dug his heels in and fought all
that much harder for the project to adapt to him rather than the other
way around.  Sigh.

In case someone else should want to try this, I can only offer this
advice: Design and build a prototype, show it off to everyone, we'll
go from there.  Hell, I'd *love* to have Joe Hacker send me email
someday saying "Hey, your stuff in /usr/src/release sucked so I
started over and wrote a new release tool, rewrote all the
release-rolling stuff in general and untangled that mess of a source
tree you guys had.  Wanna look?  Here are some diffs and a couple of
sgml files I threw together which document the build system."

Man, after picking my jaw up off the floor, you can bet your ass I'd
look at it.  If it was really good stuff, you'd probably see me
jumping up in down in -hackers about an hour later screaming "Joe
Hacker for president!  Joe Hacker for God!"

Guess we'll just have to wait until Joe Hacker shows up! :-)

					Jordan