Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:42:37 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Please help.  Can't see HD

--JwB53PgKC5A7+0Ej

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 08:54:06PM -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Upgraded to stable like so many countless times.
> All was fine after reboot. After a few more reboots while
> troubleshooting why a port was not coming up at bootup the
> machine froze right after loading the kernel... at the part with
> the spinning lines... |/-\ <=3D=3D like those..

Hmmmm... This is pretty drastic.  The boot loader is failing to read
the kernel from the disk.  This part of the boot process really
precedes anything that could be fixed using fsck(8), contrary to what
others have said.  It's not bad advice, just that there are some more
basic things to fix first.

There are two possibilities I can think of:

    i) Your hard drive has bitten the dust.  There's nothing you can
       do to fix the drive.  The disklabel seems to be right on a bad
       spot of the disk and unless the disk has sufficient spare
       blocks you can't remap that location.  In any case you'ld have
       to have a record of the previous disklabel so that you could
       recreate it.

   ii) You've been fiddling with the disk addressing mode in the BIOS
       and somehow left it in a different mode to what it was before.
       In this case, you should be able to try the various modes one
       by one until you get back to the one that works.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way