Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 17:19:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        spedpr@thor.cf.ac.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New "release candidate floppies" available

Paul Richards wrote:

> Hmm, if the user decides the MBR shouldn't be written we shouldn't really
> touch it. Why not print out a warning and some instructions along the lines
> of, "Automatic reboot is not possible without writing the MBR, please ensure
> that FreeBSD is selected upon reboot."

Right.  Just wait to lots more Linux users try FreeBSD and sysinstall
steps on their LILO setup ... suddenly the freebsd.misc newsgroup will
become as popular (polluted) as linux.whatever newsgroups ... it will
not be a pretty sight.  The point is that *many* people will come to
FreeBSD with one or more operating systems on their computer already
and *will* have a boot manager installed already and will *not* want
to experiment with yet another boot manager no matter how great boot
easy may be.

something like: "If you do not update the MBR, to reboot FreeBSD you
must have some other boot manager installed."  well, it needs work. :)
--
Jan Isley            | If you couldn't find any weirdness,
jan@bagend.atl.ga.us | maybe we'll just have to make some! - Hobbes