Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:57:29 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation glitches

I finally got around installing FreeBSD somewhat properly.  The
problems I had encountered are:

1- During initial bootup, when given the possibility of booting from
a more custom kernel, I had removed the Syscon Console without
knowing what that actually did (big no-no in any circumstances).

2- During the partitionning portion of the install, I asked to check
for bad sectors.  It froze when it attempted to do so.  I know that
the BAD144 implementation isn't perfect yet, but if it's there, it
should work for a fairly generic system like mine (at least there's
nothing that mentions in which known cases the check will not
react properly).  If there's anything I can do, I'd like to know.

3- I hadn't read properly the notice before setting up XFree86 the
first time, and was running the mouse daemon.  For some reason,
even when resetting the mouse to /dev/sysmouse (can't remember
if that's the proper device, but you get the picture) it wouldn't stick
unless I restarted the setup (XFree86Setup).  It seems to work now.

This is a CD-Rom install of a recently purchased 2.2.7.  Something
I'd like to know is that, since some things are evidently lisence or
export restricted (qt131, pgp262, rsaref) why have packages on the
first CD that require these packages installed if you don't have these
packages on the CD.  I'll RTFM more over the week, but it seems
only normal that if you have packages on the install CD, you'd also
include all the other packages these depend on.  I've had many
instances where I was getting these messages.  All the KDE stuff,
which depends on qt131, was flaging the missing package.  I've
been trying to run XFree86 and only got a blank screen.

Unless there are other issues I overlooked, my guess is that finding
the qt package will fix this last problem.  I'll check on the third and
fourth CD if the package is there, if not, I may have it lying around
somewhere (hopefully).

There are four questions in this message.  The first one, why does
the BAD144 check freeze up on my system.  The second one, why
aren't packages which are a dependancy to others, written on the
same (first) CD that all the others are.  The third, where can I find
these packages (as I said, my guess is the third CD, if not, it'll take
a while to transfer them to my FreeBSD box, since it's not connected
to the net and won't be for a while).  Fourth, if my idea of qt131 being
the reason why XFree won't show anything yet isn't all that is wrong,
then what else could be missing?

Thanks,

Manu