Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:01:42 -0500
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        Jesse Gross <jesse_gross@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow X refresh rate

> As I said, I could only get everything to work when I did default
> configurations for everything. However, I want to use GNOME, not the default
> window manager that comes with XFree86.

   You need to run xdm or Xwrapper. I use xdm myself, as the man page
   for xdm set everything up (except for the path names, they are
   wrong, you need to change them). Look at the pkg-message file in
   /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4, it will tell you why startx only works
   as root.

> the changes only take effect for the currently logged in user. As a result,
> I have GNOME for root, but not for my unprivileged user. Do you have any
> suggestions?

	You will need to create a .xsession file for each user, and
   put that file in their home directory.

								Bruce