Date:      26 Apr 2002 12:02:30 -0000
From:      atk2@arctic.org
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, gabriel@maquina.com
Subject:   Re: Athlon XP with NVIDIA AGP problem

Reading various news groups I have heard quite often that via (kt333) boards
in general do not work well with nvidia graphic gards under certain situations
(I never bothered to figure out the details since I don't use a nvidia
graphic card - but I think the t4 or g4 or whatever the new one is from
nvidia is suppose to work better). My basic understanding of the problem
is that boht via and nvidia push the timings of the bus to the limit of the
specs (and perhaps out of spec) or something like that.

I just purchased this board and set it up last night with an old s3 card (will
switch it to a voodoo 3/2000 pci card as soon as i shutdown my old system).

So far the only problem I have is that the UDMA on the hard drive is not
enabled and I'm getting 3MB instead of 20MB off the disk (the bios indicates
UDMA mode 6 is enabled - ata133 7200rpm maxtor drive).

Other than that i'm happy - this system is 20 times faster than my old p100.

Alan

(btw if anyone has suggestions for enabling udma drop a note !)