Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:39:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles Owens)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS locking status (rpc.lockd) ?

> Is anyone currently working on getting NFS locking to work?  I just dug
> through the list archive and it appears, a few months back, at least, that
> some folks had been thinking seriously about attempting an implementation.
> Where do we stand now?

Look a bit further back.  I posted kernel patches for the server side
to the -current list some time ago.  More recently, I posted layering
changes to support veto-based VOP_ADVLOCK implementation both for FS
stacking, and to support client-side locking lock proxy to the server.

Both of these were post-Lite2 integration.

I also posted a kernel memory leak detection test environment, and
a test written to use that environment to monitor namei buf usage
and return across all system calls that did path lookup (Doug Rabson
made some NFS changes that conflicted with my namei() layering fixes
for some VFAT/VFAT32/NTFS support work I was doing, and one or both
of us together introduced a path name buffer leak; I didn't have the
ability to do the NFS tests locally, so I released the test environment).

I haven't really been keeping this code fresh (other than the test
environment which is trivial enough that it won't be impacted by
anything but a massive change) since it's pretty clear it's not
going to get committed until either someone who can vet the code
wraps their brain around the VFS problems I'm trying to solve, or
until I find the time to educate someone to the same effect (ie:
wrap their brain around the code for them).

> If anyone _is_ working on this, I'd be glad to be of assistance in testing
> or whatever.  I have access to FreeBSD, Solaris, and AIX (3.2.5 and 4.1)
> boxes.

I will look at what it will take to get the patches "fresh" again
for you (I first did them in June 1995, more than two years ago --
about when Lite2 was released and a year and a half before it was
integrated).  There is still some rpc.lockd work that needs to be
done.  I can describe it, but the problem is the representation
of the file handle; I don't know what it is, since it doesn't seem
to match that of the kernel NFS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---