Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:28:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to generate a patch file

All,

I'm requesting takeover of a couple of FreeBSD ports (cvs and dma,
although dma is now in base, I imagine the port will be used to track
upstream changes before they make it into base).

What has been requested thusfar is a diff to update maintainer.  Seems
simple enough, right, effectively a one-line patch/diff?

So, how do I go about it?  I could certainly cd to /usr/ports/mail/dma,
copy Makefile to Makefile.orig, and run a manual diff Makefile.orig
Makefile > /tmp/patch, while in that directory.  That would apply only for
the single file, obviously.

Or I could clone the entire port, and make a unified diff.  Yes, more
complicated and perhaps unnecessary for a one-line-in-one-file patch, but
maybe some tooling expects that (I couldn't find a good rule of thumb
here).

Finally, in googling around, I found a makefile target that's called "make
makepatch" -- which isn't documented in 'man ports', and which I *think*
is not used for tracking patches that will live the lifetime of a port,
but there's no section in the porters handbook that covers this.

That is to say, the entire "patching" section in the porter's handbook
covers "lifecycle" (./files) patches, and not "bugreport" patches:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/slow-patch.html

-Dan