Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jhanna@shaw.ca
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: amd/autofs on BSD (was Re: waiting on sbwait)

On 25-Jun-2004 Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:43:03PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
>> I understand, but the problem is that all access via amd are now stalled, till
>> the one process failes/times-out. I guess it's because the single thread amd.
>
> This is an excellent opportunity to ask:
>
> Is anyone working on or does anyone know of a project to develop a real
> autofs implementation for BSD that's compatible with the autofs
> implementations on every other UNIX?  I see where am-utils got some
> 'gamma quality' autofs support added for Linux and Solaris systems, but
> still nada on BSD.  IMO amd has probably outlived its usefulness and
> should be shot in the head and replaced with a Sun-style automounter.
> It does much to discourage BSDs adoption in large multiuser environments
> when it requires special cruft to make it play nicely with automounting.
>
> [ I realize I've set myself up for 'show me the code', but my intent was
> not to complain about the lack of a better automounter, merely to ask if
> anyone is working on one, because if they are, I'd help. ]

I did a kernel autofs on 4-Stable a while back, up to the prototype stage.
I did not get to add FreeBSD autofs support to amd, which would have been
my next stage. Note that amd 6.1 supports autofs. Being compatible with the
userland syntax of the Sun automounter is another matter.
My autofs used nullfs, so that has to be reliable.

jhanna@shaw.ca