Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:10:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network Printing - Please put me out of my misery

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Colin J. Raven wrote:

> Damn, I was on the *verge* of heading out next week to buy one of those
> given that I could *not* get my "all-in-one" HP psc2105 to function at
> all. I'd given up after days of struggle since the end didn't seem to
> justify the means. (Windows XP box is pretty much up 24/7 anyway for
> anyone who needs to print)

Colin,

Sorry to throw in late, but I have a (not very similar) HP printer
that's been working fine and maybe I can help. I assume your psc2105 has
a JetDirect card (with RJ45 ethernet jack) - I can't really tell from
the online specs at www.hp.com. If so, have you assigned it an IP
address? I apologize if this has been answered earlier in the thread,
just had to point out the obvious.

I don't use cups - cause it looks like a huge pig :^) - but lpr has
served me well over the years. Under 5.3R, all I had to do was 4.5
things:

1) put
   lpd_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf

1a) Run /usr/sbin/lpd as root, or reboot; your choice.

2) make the name 'snowball' resolve to the printer's IP (because I name
printers after Devo songs). I used /etc/hosts, but you can run DNS
locally if you prefer.

3) create an entry in /etc/printcap like so:
lp|snow|snowball|lj|ps|HP ColorLaserJet 4550N:\
         :sh:\
         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
         :mx#0:\
         :lp=:rm=snowball:rp="auto":

4) create the directory /var/spool/output/lpd and chmod it to 755.

This works fine for printing from Mozilla and Acrobat, as well as 'lpr
somefile' type stuff.

Hope this helps.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]