Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:59:38 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Cc:        WAYNE KING <king.812@osu.edu>
Subject:   Re: problem with linux kernel 2.16.18.2 and packet filter

--nextPart8114223.1r5BisRvIc

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 18:42, WAYNE KING wrote:
> Hello list, My subnet at Ohio State is running a BSD firewall with
> packet filter. It works great, but I just encountered a weird problem
> with the linux 2.16.18.2 kernel and packet filter. When the firewall
> was on I could do absolutely nothing via the web; every page would
> hang. As soon as I turned the firewall off, all connections worked
> fine. Apparently this is a known bug? and changing the
> tcp_window_scaling setting in the kernel to 0 fixes it. Anyway I was
> hoping that someone could explain to me why that setting might cause a
> problem with packet filter. It irritated me for weeks. By the way I'm
> using OpenSuse 10.2 --never had it up to and including Suse 10.1. I'm
> not sure if this is a problem in general with that kernel or with some
> distro particular. I'm running fedora core 6 on another computer and
> that works fine. I just discovered this fix so I haven't checked what
> kernel that has installed (fedora core 6) or what the
> tcp_window_scaling is by default. The following com mand fixed it on my
> computer (openSuse 10.2)
>
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
>
> Any quick insights just for my own education?

Could you enable misc logging for pf (pfctl -xm) and watch the console=20
while you try to connect to the net with the affected Linux box?

Also, window scaling related problems are usually caused by keep state=20
rules that do not include "flags S/SA".  Under some circumstances you=20
could get pf to install a state entry for which it has not seen the=20
initial SYN and thus it is not informed about the negotiated scalling=20
factor and breaks the connection later.

=2D-=20