Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 05:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/32830: FreeBSD 4.4 install fails on Thinkpad 750

The following reply was made to PR i386/32830; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To: Julian Wald <jmw@ptolserv.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:54:50 +0200

 On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:44:20 PST, Julian Wald wrote:

 > problems installing on a Thinkpad 750.
 >
 > I created the three boot disks, and then tried booting from the first
 > (Kernel). This stops with the following messages:
 >
 > Disk error 0x4 (lba=0c38)
 > Disk error 0x4 (lba=0c38)
 > No /boot/loader

 I've never used an IBM Thinkpad, but this may help:

 The boot_i386(8) manual page says that "Disk error" return codes are
 taken directly from the BIOS return code.  Your code (0x4) is this:

 	0x4   Sector not found

 Are you sure those disks are good?  How did you create them?  Do you
 have another BSD box you can use fdformat on?

 You said "the three boot disks"?  Which floppy images did you burn, and
 which one did you put on "the first" disk?  The first disk should be
 kern.flp, the second should be mfsroot.flp.  You won't need fixit.flp
 until the first two actually work. :-)

 As I said, I don't know your hardware, so this may be a known niggle
 with the Thinkpad, but in the absence of other advice, start with
 verifying that your media are good.

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.