Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:46:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        toby@m1soft.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: comparisons

Well, i don't know offhand where there is a meaningful review , but check
freebsd.org/in the press for articles discussing the OS and also
daemonnews.org for some other advocacy articles.
In a nutshell, FreeBSD has a smaller user base, ports base, and hardware
support, but it is much more tightly integrated, refined, and tested.  It
is very stable, performs well under pressure and heavy loads, and
this is important to some: is based on true Unix, rather than being a
workalike (Linux).  It has been said that every Linux distro is a
different OS, and this is actually true.  Each stores data in different
places, uses different ports and standards, even though most of the basics
apply.  This means unless you are willing to do a lot of free-time hacking
and mucking around, you pretty much need to pick one linux distro and
stick with it.  FreeBSD takes a little longer for those ports to come out,
but they are more stable,and integrated more easily into a very cohesive
system.  Also, IMHO, the directory structure makes much more sense.  Linux
wass completely incomprehensible to me.  FreeBSD is much less so
;-)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 toby@m1soft.com wrote:

>To whom it may concern:
>
>I am currently a Linux user, but I am also technically curious about
>all operating systems, so I will soon by trying FreeBSD. What would
>really be helpful to me is a comparison of FreeBSD vs. Linux. Other
>than for curiosity's sake, why should I give FreeBSD a try? What makes
>FreeBSD worth my while? What does it do that Linux does not? What are
>its advantages vs. Linux? Can you tell me where any non-biased reviews
>exist?
>
>Thank you,
>toby@m1soft.com

-jonathon