Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Talk problems btw. FreeBSD & Sun

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Narvi wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > [ Talk problems Sun <-> FreeBSD ]

> > > Now that's awfull!!! Weren't the things meant to be consistent in the use
> > > of byte order?
> >
> > They were once it was figured out, but Sun never shipped the new
> > versions since it's *NOT* backwards compatible with the old version. :(
> >
> > > Perhaps there is a way of getting that /usr/old/talk?
> >
> > I'm not sure, but ytalk *might* be able to talk to the Suns.  Someone
> > with more experience in that matter may be able to verify that.
> > Download ytalk and check the docs.
> >

> Thanx, it did help - but unfortunately it goes only half the way. Ytalk
> is able to connect to the Sun (I type talk on the FreeBSD machine ->
> respond with talk: ... apears on the screen of the user logged into the
> sun, but when she (or he - it changes nothing which user) responds, the
> talk session just hangs on her/his part.
>
> So I still need a talk daemon capable of receiving "old" talk requests.
> Any ideas whetever sources for the 4.2BSD compatible talk daemon might be
> available? Or any work on the ytalk daemon mentioned in the docs?

	Before FreeBSD was out (Thanks to Jordan for telling me about
it!), I used to run Linux and there was a guy at GNU i met through the
gnu finger author that was developing a gnu talkd and I ran it that
handled both port 517 and 518 talk requests and was able to output out of
your soundcard too and it works on all unix platforms.... too bad I lost
it and his address when FreeBSD 1.0 Gamma came out....  Maybe someone
else knows...

Vince
System Administration/GaiaNet Corporation