Date:      29 Dec 99 14:29:51 MST
From:      Novocaer <_novocaer_@usa.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   3.2 executables won't run

Dear sirs,
as it happens my first experience with FreeBSD is with 3.2-Stable,
and i've yet to see this sort of problem ever.
When i run a file, that should run, i get error message as if it didn't
exist. So i check permissions- they're OK. I check it with "file"- =

the output seems reasonable (executable, stripped etc.). So i go hmmm.
Maybe that's a shell problem. I change the shell- nothing. So i go hmmm.
Maybe i loaded one or more modules that are somehow defective. Unloading-=

Nothing. So i go hmmm. Maybe i should try something else:
#cat >asd <<EOF
echo qwerty
EOF
#chmod a+x asd
"file" on "asd" says "text file", but when i run it- you guessed- nothing=
=2E
So i go hmmm. Maybe pleading to the CPU would help? So i type:
#cat >a.c <<EOF
main(){
printf('qwerty');
}
EOF
#gcc a.c
and get executable "a.out" that won't run either. So i go hmmm.
#gdb a.out
looking through the main() procedure reveals nothing strange.
I got a feeling i'm missing something big here...
Additional (Maybe) important data to analyse:
A. I was unable to diferentiate the files that run from those that don't.=

   It's not owner dependant, size dependant, shell dependant, in or out
   of X, loadable modules or not, made for Linux or not, not user
   dependant- i tried real hard. =

B. I used the same set of CD's to install on a different station (200mhz,=

   64mb, 6.4GB pentium) and the same problem appeared there.
C. I tried it on different installs, expert/novice, w/ developer or w/o-
   again- nothing.
D. Yes, i do hummm a-lot.

Thank you.

TagLine Thieves Guild Official Member # 31415926535