Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:12:17 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Patches avail?] Re: MMAP() in STABLE/CURRENT ...

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 10:09:23AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Intel's ECC implementation is not perfect (1), but it's good enough to
>     catch these sorts of problems.

Just as an interesting side note, we had a motherboard which
supported ECC ram and had ECC ram in it and which was crashing.
Eventually we discovered that every 8th byte in page aligned 4KB
chunks was becomming corrupted.

We replaced the ram and saw no improvement, and then got a replacement
motherboard. As far as I could see the only significant difference
between the new and old motherboard was the addition of a heat sink
to the memory controler chip. The machine is now perfectly happy.

So it seems that ECC isn't enough if your memory controler is too
hot!

	David.