Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:07:03 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <kostia@obninsk.com>
Subject:   Re: ipx router

Hi!

On Monday 9 Aug 1999 13:17 <kostia@obninsk.com> wrote:

>I have PC with  two 3com 590 Combo netcard .
>It does not work like ipx router. (i am using Ehernet II frame).
>my local network consist of 25 PC workstation under windows 98 and one PC under Freebsd 3.2.
>my local network consist of two parts.First part contain 12 PC,second part contain 13 PC.

1. I suppose you have looked at Boris Popov's page
http://www.butya.kz/~bp

They contain some useful how-to's on setting up IPX for FreeBSD.

2. You may want to search -questions mail archive for "IPX gateway using freebsd"
for some thread on topic. Here is the snip from my mail to it:

>> <<From /etc/rc.conf>>
>> network_interfaces="ep0 ep1 ep2 lo0 sl0"
>> [...]
>> ifconfig_ep0_ipx="ipx aaaa0000"
>> ifconfig_ep1_ipx="ipx bbbb0000"
>> ifconfig_ep2_ipx="ipx cccc0000"
>> [...]
>> ipxgateway_enable="YES"         # Set to YES to enable IPX routing.
>> ipxrouted_enable="YES"          # Set to YES to run the IPX routing daemon.
>> ipxrouted_flags="-s"            # Flags for IPX routing daemon.
>> ipxnetbios_enable="YES"         # YES to enable sharing under IPX.
>>
>> Note last line - I added it by myself (with the corresponding
>> entry in /etc/rc.network) to enable disks/printers sharing
>> between my different Ethernet segments in the mixed Win3x/Win9x/WinNT
>> workstations LAN (sigh...).

>The PC belong to first part does not link with another  PC that belong to the second part.
>How do I make to provide the connection with PC from different parts not using ip protocol ?

I think you mean "resource sharing" in windows98 between different Ethernet segments, yes?
Well, i was unable to do this without:
a. enabling IPXNetbios support for IPX/SPX on win stations
b. turning on net.ipx.ipxnetbios variable in kernel (it is OFF by default) on FreeBSD machine

Here is beforementioned entry in my /etc/rc.network file:

    if [ "X$ipxgateway_enable" = X"YES" ]; then
            echo -n ' IPX gateway=YES'
            sysctl -w net.ipx.ipx.ipxforwarding=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi

    if [ "X$ipxnetbios_enable" = X"YES" ]; then
            echo -n ' IPX netbios=YES'
            sysctl -w net.ipx.ipxnetbios=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi

Hope this may help...
Someone more experienced with this stuff _must_ correct me
if this is (totally) wrong.

Regards,
Goshik