Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 21:07:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        ANYBODY <somebody@kashmir.etowns.net>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec ahc : seagate da : current

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, ANYBODY wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:38:06PM -0800, ANYBODY wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 12:11:08PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > > Have you done what he said?  man 8 camcontrol (see the "tags" subcommand).
> > >
> > > -Nate
> > >

> > Sorry dont know how but missed it. thank you for reminding.
> > here is what I got:
> > # camcontrol tags da0 -v
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): dev_openings  63
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): dev_active    0
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): devq_openings 63
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): devq_queued   0
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): held          0
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): mintags       2
> > (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): maxtags       255
> >
> > ----
> > looks like i can set the dev_openings & devq_openings
> > to anywhere between 2 and 255, with it being 63 now.
> > I have no idea as to what, if at all would be a better
> > number. any suggestions?
> > Question does the kernel change these values dynamically
> > perhaps as a result of the errors like the ones I am getting?
> > If not howcome the problem occurs only if there is a little
> > over moderate disk activity within probably a short while
> > after bootup, and inspite of howmuch activity occurs later
> > this problem most rarely occurs again.
> > thanks and appreciate your help
> > Saurabh Gupta
> >

> Answering my own question :
> these values are indeed dynamic in a running system.
> the cam driver or the kernel keeps negotiating!
> @least thats what I found after picking the numbers
> every few seconds for an hour.
> during bootup my numbers were 255 for the dev*openings
> and that is when the drive gets into trouble.
> If the activity is mild in the begining(bootup) the
> stable dev*opening values are probably negotiated down
> smoothly in a little while......and when the
> understanding of a stable number is low enough the
> drive doesnt get stuck anymore.
> I guess I should go read the camcontrol driver in
> detail before sounding off my opinion anymore
> or risk being one of the BLIND men trying to FEEL an
> elephant!

Yes, the values are dynamically backed off as necessary.  To avoid the
timeout, set the maxtags lower via adding the appropriate camcontrol to
rc.local.  You can get a good idea on the lower bound for your drive by
what it is dynamically resized to.  FYI, even a tag depth of 8 allows for
significant concurrency.  But do some performance testing to see what
works for you.

-Nate