Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:30:07 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIOS reading physical RAM

> Does anyone have a reference to the values of "type" field in the Intel
> BIOS physical system RAM mapping?
>
> I am curious why we are using only entries of type "0x01".

This table (from Ralf Brown's Interrupt List) is self-explanatory:

Values for System Memory Map address type:
 01h    memory, available to OS
 02h    reserved, not available (e.g. system ROM, memory-mapped device)
 03h    ACPI Reclaim Memory (usable by OS after reading ACPI tables)
 04h    ACPI NVS Memory (OS is required to save this memory between NVS
          sessions)
 other  not defined yet -- treat as Reserved