Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:37:19 -0500
From:      Ray Kohler <ray@rjk191.rh.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Several odd problems

Over the past two days I've acquired a few weird problems; I'm
sending this to current as opposed to questions because these seem
to be current-related...

1)top and ps stopped working.
$ top
kvm_open: proc size mismatch (34452 total, 1040 chunks)
top: Out of memory.
$ ps
ps: proc size mismatch (8352 total, 1040 chunks)

This looks like classic mismatch between kernel and these two
programs, but all three are in sync with each other.

2)ldconfig from linux emulation dumps core.
$ /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig
Segmentation fault - core dumped

Not sure why this happens, but I know there was a commit in the linux emulation
code today. Obviously, this means no linux apps will run now - they
all coredump.

3)installing perl fails.
101 # pwd
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl
102 # make install
vm/vnode_pager.h -> vm/vnode_pager.ph
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.

This one seems by far the most mysterious of all, since I can find
no reason whatsoever for it. It happens whether I install it
separately or as part of an installworld. It chugs along quite
happily and then fails there with no more information than that.

4)can't install the linux_base port.
It passes all checksum tests, but gets a segv while trying to
install the ldconfig RPM. I found this one while trying to
investigate problem #2 above. Not sure whether it's even relevant,
but I thought I'd mention it while I'm at it.

--
Ray Kohler <rjk191@psu.edu>
Travel important today; Internal Revenue men arrive tomorrow.