Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:20:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Alex <ayk1@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file disappeared?

> > > The subject says it all:  I removed a file, but according to df, it's
> > > still there!
>
> Some running process still has the file open.  As soon as that process
> exits, the space will be freed.

Of course... stupid me!   I used vnconfig to mount the image and then
unmounted it, but forgot to do a vnconfig -u...

Of course, it's a bit too late now - just got a kernel panic trying to do
so (not entirely unexpected - anyone want a core dump... :-)

vnconfig was a one-off thing and not a running process, therefore
difficult to detect.

Many thanks to everyone who responded, and I do apologise for wasting your
time.

Alex