Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 09:39:31 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYSCONS PROBLEM IDENTIFIED

In message <199509200508.WAA15734@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert
    writes:

>> >If I type ^[[1m^[[H^[[J on an SCO console, the color will not be changed
>> >from the default to the bold values (I just tried it).
>>
>> Very strange (I try it too with different result).
>> There must be ^[[m somewhere, maybe in your prompt.
>> Foreground attributes settings can be canceled only by ^[[m or
>> direct colors settings, not by clearing IN ANY CASE.

>Why does elm turn the screen reverse when I log into my Linux or Sun
>box and run it from the FreeBSD console, but not from my SCO console?

It isn't turning attributes off, but (1) "erase with black color"
instead of (2) "erase with background color". I.e. Elm can
turn reverse on, then attempt to clear screen or end of line.
For (1) you got clear screen, for (2) you got reverse screen.
Sounds like Elm error, it must turn off highlight before any clearing.
Curses works this way.

Maybe it is recent SCO addition (erase with black color).
I check Xenix box and got the same behaviour like in FreeBSD.
Can you check Linux console too? (it attempts to emulate SCO
somehow).

Advantage of "erase with background color" is that you can quickly
fill whole screen with any color without putting lots of damn spaces.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -