Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 23:37:01 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on FAT filesystems

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > of sync, anytime anyone does anything in DOS.  It needs setting up;
> > and it's just too _exposed_.  Because it's non-standard, users will
> > complain bitterly when it bombs out;  because it is visible, it'll
> > be an endless minor source of controversy....
>
> Sorry but it is completely standard.

Well, perhaps I should have said "`non-standard'": meaning non-standard to
DOS users, as a way of dealing with the DOS FS.

> Yes, you are organizing data on the disk in a smarter way,
> but that's completely compatible with standard FAT.
> Only at runtime under FreeBSD you
> have additional live structures that are only helpful if your system
> crashes. And when your system crashes in the middle of a disk write, do
> you complain because you have to use a non-standard utility to recover
> your data instead of loosing them ?

Oh, they're _transient_ structures?  I understood them to be fixed.

> And about visibility: anything you install to improve performance
> becomes visible, either in the form of a file containing a device
> driver, a few lines in CONFIG.SYS (or a few hundreds of line in
> SYSTEM.INI...) etc.
>
> And, in the end, should we really care about all this ?
>
> > If people really want the extra performance, I'd suggest the option of
> > doing as Windows NT does and writing the FAT asynchronously.  At least
> > people are used to that, or used to the partial equivalent of running
> > smartdrv without a write-through cache.  And at least that would be a
> > Microsoft-approved mess. :-)
>
> but we don't have this under FreeBSD.

I'm certainly not knocking the thought that went into this....

However, doing like NT will be _much_ easier, a bit quicker, and it will
implement a way of living dangerously that DOS users completely understand
(maybe even expect).  So they've got a safe mode and a fast mode.  Surely
that's enough?

--
Robert Nordier