Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:51:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Richard Loken <richardlo@admin.athabascau.ca>
To:        Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
Cc:        "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com>
Subject:   Re: FYI, no-go with booting FreeBSD-5.3 on AlphaServer ES40

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Sten Spans wrote:

> The only "supported" option for alpha servers is Tru64,
> anything else is unsupported.

And VMS.  VMS is supported on an even smaller group of peripherals but they
are less inclined to drop support.  My DEC 3000 Model 400 has been disowned
by Tru64 but I can put on OpenVMS 7.3-2.  After DEC/Compaq discovered that
they were no longer the centre of the universe they released firmware for
some of their NT only junk that made it usable with VMS/Unix and there are some
of those orphans listed in the VMS SPD's that are not listed in the Tru64
SPD's.  There even frightening signs that VMS is doing a better job of porting
Mozilla that Tru64 and both of them have done a better job of wiring up a
recent web browser than FreeBSD and Linux who get a big fat 'F'.

I have five obselete Alpha boxes in my selfish little hands: one runs Tru64,
one runs VMS, one runs FreeBSD, and two are waiting for me to find enough
PCI cards at the right price to make them talk VMS.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS  : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn