Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 17:00:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:
> 2)	If /opt is used, there is an ABI problem with installation
> 	of third party packaged wor SunOS/Solaris on FreeBSD boxes
> 	as part of an install into a SunOS/Solaris ABI environment;
> 	speficially, how do you tell /opt/cc for /opt/cc?

I dont think using /opt would be a good idea, not only is it normally
laid-out a little different than most people seem to want, but it would
also imply Solaris-isms.. *shrug* (this is a bad thing for me, but I have
bad SunOS experience).

The more I think about it, having the name be 'pkg' and it located
wherever (/pkg or /usr/pkg, perhaps configurable as you specified for
/opt) would be pretty nice, and have the file/dir structure as (keep in
mind, this is only for packages/ports):

     /pkg/bin         /usr/local/bin
     /pkg/sbin        /usr/local/sbin
     /pkg/etc         /usr/local/etc
     /pkg/man         /usr/local/man
     /pkg/db          /var/db/pkg
     /pkg/src (?)     /usr/ports

Etc.. the points on the right are where things currently reside..

-Brandon Gillespie