Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:38:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        mwm@phone.net (Mike Meyer)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .sgml

> > And Extensible Markup Language (XML) seems to be where the world
> > is headed.
>
> XML is another application of SGML; this one defining a subset of SGML
> simplified enough to be grasped by the authors of the popular web
> browsers (most of *still* can't properly parse an HTML 2.0 document).
> Ok, that's the cynics few of XML. The official story is that it's got
> all the parts of SGML that aren't used by most people taken out, so
> that an XML parser can be written over the weekend, instead of being a
> major project in and of itself.

And don't forget the "Extensible" part.  You get to define your own
tags.  We're using that commercially to define the interfaces to our
systems for third party vendors.  They no longer have to track our
releases.  If we add a feature, they can (while parsing) say, "I
don't know what that is, but I sure know how to ignore it."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net