Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alex <ayk1@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        Jason Young <doogie@anet-stl.com>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: file disappeared?

:Nothing like that - I used a CD burner on another machine, and then ftp'ed
:the image to my home dir in case I needed more copies.  After a few days,
:I decided that I didn't need it after all, and deleted it... or did I?
:
:The question is how badly did I screw things up by running fsck?
:
:It still reports
:
:pcayk:/etc# fsck -p -f /dev/wd0s1f
:/dev/rwd0s1f: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
:/dev/rwd0s1f: SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)
:/dev/rwd0s1f: BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)
:/dev/rwd0s1f: 176225 files, 6278980 used, 1342864 free (39576 frags,
:162911 blocks, 0.5% fragmentation)
:
:(I think with -p it doesn't actually salvage anything, just checks the
:disk).
:
:Worth a reboot?
:
:Alex

    Good god.  Alex.  NEVER RUN FSCK OUTSIDE OF SINGLE-USER MODE.  Also,
    never 'guess' what an option is supposed to do.  Read the man page.
    In this case, you guessed wrong.  -p does salvage things.

    Reboot, get into the boot prompt, type 'boot -s' ( if a newer boot prompt )
    or simply '-s' if an older boot prompt.

    When you get into SINGLE user mode, type 'fsck'.  Do not specify any other
    options.  The fsck run in normal boot will not properly clean up the mess,
    because the filesystem will probably be marked valid when it isn't.

    Then reboot again.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>