Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:41:46 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>, Freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Do I have NO FUTURE with vinum?

On Sunday, 21 November 1999 at 22:50:00 +0200, Iani Brankov wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a big headaches with this 'evil'.
> I configured a two disk striped volume, but it performs much slower
> than I expected.
>
> The read performance - ~20MB/s is ok, but in writing it's ~4MB/s. Both
> the separate disks are much faster than the stripped volume,
> configured onto them.

How are you measuring the performance?

> My machine is PII/350MHz with an Intel BX board, 64MB RAM, Intel
> EtherExpress Pro/100B, Adaptec U2W SCSI controller with IBM DDRS 9.1GB
> & IBM DNES 9.1GB LVD disks working in LVD mode and a Quantum Fireball
> SE 4.3BG single ended narrow scsi disk used for 3.3 FreeBSD cvsupped a
> day ago.
>
> I think the SCSI chain is ok (termination, length, etc)
>
> I also tried the performance configuring a 'one disk concatenated'
> volume on the first hard drive, but the result was terrible again
> (below 50% of the standalone disk performance).
>
> I noticed when I write onto the raw vinum device it performs pretty
> well, whereas the cooked one is good in reading, but very slow in
> writing.

This sounds like a file system problem.  There's no real difference in
file system performance runnign on a real disk or on Vinum.

> I made so many tests in different ways, so I cannot believe it's
> related to a configuration mistake. Anyway here's the vinum.cfg:
>
> drive d1 device /dev/da1h
> drive d2 device /dev/da2h
> volume double
> 	plex org striped 256k
> 		sd length 8700mb drive d1
> 		sd length 8700mb drive d2

This looks OK.

> The hardware configuration is very popular, so I hope someone has
> already solved this problem, if it's related to the hardware.

The first thing to do is to ascertain what's going on.  For testing
device performance, use rawio.  For testing filesystem performance,
use iozone or bonnie.

Greg