Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 07:46:30 -0600
From:      Erik Greenwald <erik@smluc.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the SMTP rules for sending mail to FreeBSD

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:03:08PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> freebsd.org does not care if your reverse DNS mapping points back to
> the name you identified yourself with, it only checks that the name
> the server IDs itself as when submitting email resolves to the correct
> IP address.
>
> Many people (including me) have a working setup where reverse DNS
> mappings do not give back the original hostname we ID with.
>
> Kris

the mailing lists and user accounts are fairly forgiving, but the gnats/pr
stuff doesn't seem to be... is that by design? right now I'm filling out
the send-pr form, :w'ing it, then scp'ing it out to a viable mailer and
hand-editing the comment stuff out and sending that... (current setup is
a pair of fbsd clients behind a redcrap ipmasq (natd)... the redhat machine
CAN send pr's, its sendmail smarthost/masq stuff works, I can't get the fbsd
ones to do the right thing tho...)

--
        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.