Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 06:04:24 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        rfg@monkeys.com (Ronald F. Guilmette), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Practical limit for number of TCP connections?

Kevin Day wrote:
> > In message <199912181944.NAA68434@celery.dragondata.com>, you wrote:
> >
> > >What's the practical number of TCP connections per server?
> >
> > I've gotten over 8,000 at one time on one FreeBSD box.

I'm aware of boxes having been tested to ~100,000 connections if my memory
serves correctly.  I know there were problems going over 64k connections at
one point due to a 16 bit reference counter in the routes.

> > The way to solve that is to include calls to setsockopt() in your server
> > that will have the effect of reducing the per-connection I/O buffer sizes
> > just after you accept() each new connection.
>
> Speaking of accepting... What's the upper limit on listen queues? Something
> around 64, correct?

Tuneable:

peter@overcee[6:00am]~src/sys/kern-244> sysctl kern.ipc.somaxconn
kern.ipc.somaxconn: 128