Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 19:24:58 +0300
From:      Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
To:        Dan Kogai <dankogai@dan.co.jp>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Vadim Konovalov <vkonovalov@peterstar.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

> But to sensibly strip down the distribution to just as much as needed
> does take a lot of something the most precious -- intellectual power.
> That I consider a waste.  I don't think anyone objects that there are
> several hundred, or even thousand, files under /usr/src so long as it
> builds and so long as it nicely fits -- say, in a CD-ROM.  FreeBSD
> 4.5-stable as of now is just 364,149 kBytes UNCOMPRESSED.  Why don't you
> just untargz what Perl 5 porter has to offer and forget about what files
> should go and stay?  You can easily install only needed parts.

Well, my understanding is that this is exactly what Mark is talking
about-- for the needs of the FreeBSD itself (build, pksrc?) they don't
need all of Perl.  For that miniperl or something like Debian's
perl-base where you don't start by leaving out what you don't need but
instead by taking in only what one absolutely needs.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen