Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 13:22:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Re(2): Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

> > Not true.  If you have direct access to freefall (developers only), you can
> use (4-sup) to get "up to the minute" copies of the CVS tree.
>
> If YOU can get "up to the minute" updates via sup, it is only because you fall
> in my category (1). My proposal does not affect a sup server that does not
> provide synchronous snapshots.

If the mirror servers fired three times a day, and your pull from the
mirror fired once a day, you'd be set.

You only need an "up to the minute" version if that's how you locally
maintain your changes -- by communicating them through the master
SUP server.  This assumes commit privs.  If you don't have commit
privs, once a day or once a week (depending on your level of activity)
is enough to handle it for you.

You can cut the intermediate sup server traffic by 33% if you
institute multiple reader/single writer locks and use a pseudo
writer lock for the SUP area mirroring.

If commiters follow the "it must run before you release the writer
lock" protocol, then you will be guaranteed a buildable image on
every SUP.

> > Since your assumptions are invalid for one of the two most common
> > distribution method, the rest of the proposal is not completely valid.
>
> Since those who have the direct access are not really inhibited by this
> proposal, I suggest that you reconsider it in view of the other 99.99% of the
> folks for whom my assumptions apply.

I don't totally agree with all aspects of the proposal, since I have
multple trees for multiple concurrent projects, and it won't help
me out that much because of it.

But this is a point in its favor.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org