Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:11:52 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall creates corrupt filesystems after repartitioning

On 03/02/07 07:46, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>> I don't know about the fs corruption, but the double mounts is
>> something you asked it to do (maybe unknowingly).  When you added
>> that partition, one of the options is to mount it.
>
> Clearly an easy work around in that case then but personally
> I would expect a mount to a directory already in use by another
> mount point to fail. Taking even further a mount to a directory
> that is not actually empty should fail. IIRC this is how solaris
> behaves but its been a while.
>
> Checking for an empty target directory certainly makes sence to
> me is there some case where it would be desirable to allow this
> to happen? If so maybe a force flag should created without which
> a mount to a none empty dir would fail. Either way allowing
> multiple mounts to the same location is bound to cause all manor
> of confusion and should be prevented.

Mounting an NFS share on top of a skimmed down /usr is very common, and
very desirable.  You may mount /usr from a small read-only partition
(vnode file, etc) and then mount a different partition or NFS over it if
you detect the one you want.

I think this comes down to: if it hurts, stop doing it.  :)

Maybe sysinstall should warn you that you are double mounting, but I
don't want it to stop letting me do it.

Eric