Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      matthewh@rds.co.nz
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/21583: CVS pserver - login succeeds but checkout fails with ": no such user" when user exists.

>Number:         21583
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       CVS pserver - login succeeds but checkout fails with ": no such user" when user exists.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I upgraded a RedHat Linux Server to FreeBSD 4.1.  The CVS Repository
was copied accross and set up.  All the users were added to the system
with identical login names and passwords as originally configured.

After the install, cvs login would succeed.  However, cvs co <module>
would fail with the following error.

> cvs co CVSROOT
:pserver:matthewh@alcatraz:/codestore co CVSROOT
Fatal error, aborting.
: no such user

By the way, I am using CVS pserver on the FreeBSD server and cvs on
winnt machines as the clients.  I also had exactly the same error when
using the client/server checkout from the same FreeBSD server.

>How-To-Repeat:
When I installed the system I answered no to install Crypto and use MD5 passwords (I think).
>Fix:
I downloaded and compiled the latest version of CVS (1.11) from
cvshome.org.  After running "./configure" then "make" and finally
"make install", the problem was immediately fixed.

From what I could understand and after scouring the Internet for information, a call to getpwnam() in the CVS code was failing to
find the login name.  So it must have been a problem with that version
of CVS (not FreeBSD) for the problem to be fixed with an upgrade to
CVS.