Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 11:24:02 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kallas@sol.med.ge.com (Christopher Kallas  x7-4308)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPIB software

Christopher Kallas x7-4308 stands accused of saying:

> Is there any software (besides the gp driver) out there for GPIB
> instrumention that works on freeBSD?  A couple of reps that I have
> talked to at NI have no clue of what freeBSD is.

No, not at this stage.  What are you after?  Most of what all their wonderful
(eyecch) Windows software does could be done with a Tcl/Tk program talking
to the gp driver.  Having the source for the driver would make modifying
things very easy.

NI have a PC PCI version of their TNT card now (no idea what if anything
differentiates it from the Mac PCI version).  If you could get details on
the blob on the card (TNT docco already exists), it might be possible to
do something more.

Unfortunately, the TNT is a little braindamaged (bad FIFO implementation)
and thus while it may be capable of 8M/sec on the GPIB, on ISA in a
non-polled environment you wouldn't get much more than 1.5M/sec out of it
(assuming 50K interrupts/sec as a reasonable upper limit).

If the PCI blob does PCI busmastering, the card would become _much_ more
useful from our point of view.

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[