Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:52:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        julian@whistle.com, nash@mcs.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthread_cond_timedwait returning wrong error?

> don't forget 2.2.x
> (it has basically the same code)
>
> On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Alex Nash wrote:
>
> > On 23 Nov, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> > >
> > > Is EAGAIN the correct error for a timeout from a
> > > pthread_cond_timedwait() call?  I would think that
> > > ETIMEDOUT would be more appropriate.
> >
> > According to my 1996 edition of ANSI/IEEE std 1003.1, you are correct --
> > ETIMEDOUT should be returned.  I've committed a fix for this into
> > -current.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Alex

While we're on the subject, can someone please add uthread_sigwait
to Makefile.inc in lib/libc_r/uthread?  I've been wanting this for
a while; the GNAT port needs this to work.  The code is there, it's
just that the function isn't included in the make.

*** Makefile.inc.orig   Sun Nov 16 19:06:14 1997
--- Makefile.inc        Sun Nov 23 23:42:23 1997
***************
*** 83,88 ****
--- 83,89 ----
        uthread_sigprocmask.c \
        uthread_sigsetmask.c \
        uthread_sigsuspend.c \
+       uthread_sigwait.c \
        uthread_socket.c \
        uthread_socketpair.c \
        uthread_spec.c \

One last question.  The other GNAT targets (Linux, Open/VMS,
RTEMS, etc) all seem to want the errno to be _returned_ by
pthread_cond_timedwait (and a couple of others too).  This
seems wrong, -1 should be returned, and the error code should
be retrieved from the thread-safe errno.  What does the POSIX
spec say about the return value of pthread_cond_timedwait()?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org